PPG End of Year Meeting 01.03.22
One of the main like issues that the PPG asked the practice to address was that of the redevelopment building works. There were many setbacks over the past few years but thanks to the Patient Group Forum the practice was able to pursue the project.
- In March 2021, the PPG were informed in the March meeting that that the move would likely take place the following month and that all patients would be notified shortly by letter.
- PM negotiated with CCG, logistics and Estates as to action plan for moving. the practice redesigned its layout to bring into use an old caretaker flat – a previously-unused part of the building – to increase
- clinical space and boost capacity to meet local demand.
- Additional IT applications were made for more computers to support the additional rooms.
- Preparation was made for the move of all equipment, files, cabinets, seating, and desks.
- The clinical management team decided and designed layout and equipment needed.
- Before returning to IMC, the practice ran through the snagging list i.e:- panic alarms, data points, patient call relocation, electrical works, signage, electrical shutters etc.
- The practice moved to DMC in April 2021 and returned back to IMC on 27 th September 2021.
- Patients were notified by letter and also via the website prior and to the move to DMC on 16.03.21 and before returning to IMC on 13.09.21.
- On November 26 th 2022, Tower Hamlets Mayor, John Biggs and senior officials from NHS North East London Clinical Commissioning Group (NEL CCG) officially opened Island Medical Centre and were given a tour to see first-hand the improved, expanded facilities.
The second issue agreed by the PPG was for a new telephone system that could facilitate a queuing management system to be activated on the practice telephone lines. In 2015, this was explored and our system could not facilitate this option so this was a priority issue to be addressed during the redevelopment works.
X-on was chosen as a provider as it could support the following:
- The Confirm and Remind functionality automatically alerts patients to the details of their appointment, helping to cut DNAs by around 30% on average. SMS confirmation automatically sends appointment details to mobile callers.
- The new service would be able to record calls in order to improve the level of customer care provided.
- The practice will have unlimited lines which will allow the practice to triage calls effectively in accordance with staff levels.
- The Queue management system will allow patients to know what number they are being held in the queue.
- An automated voice reminder is set up named queue buster to inform patients when the practice is experiencing a high volume of calls.
- Surgery Connect is resilient: mobile phone back up means that calls can be routed to mobiles, in case phone lines lose connectivity.
- Administrators can listen in to calls, helping support staff in training.
The third issue that had been a problem over the past few years was that of continuity of care.
Patients and carers fed back via the PPG meetings that if the practice could not secure regular doctors then could they secure longer term sessional locums in the interim period.
The Practice secured longer term locums prior to the pandemic. The practice now has six regular doctors! Dr Win, Dr Shah, Dr Lund, Dr Oladele, Dr Khanna and Dr Lakdawala.
Having secured six regular doctors in such a difficult climate has been a great success for the practice, benefiting both patients and carers. This results in better healthcare and higher patient/carer satisfaction.
The level of care that is provided by maintaining continuity of care is pivotal in building up a personal relationship with a GP who is aware of a patient’s background and medical needs. This leads to better clinical management including that of the providing and sharing of information and further care planning.
Time is also reduced as doctors do not have to look at a detailed history of a patient as they are familiar with their diagnostics and treatments.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.